Why should I exfoliate my skin? How to do so? We’ve gathered the best practices so that you can start exfoliating like a pro!
Exfoliating, what does it really mean?
To exfoliate means getting rid of dead cells accumulating on the top of your skin among time. Your skin is constantly regenerating, replacing old cells by new ones, the issue here is that the dead cells stay on your skin which can lead to:
- Dull skin
- Harsh skin
- Dry skin
- Tired skin
- Ingrowing hair
All great reasons to exfoliate, right? Now let’s see the benefits of exfoliating.
Exfoliating stimulates your skin cells turnover by getting rid of the layer of dead cells/dust/impurities on the top of your skin.
This will result in better oxygenation of your skin, essential to get a healthy glow.
Your skin treatments will penetrate your skin much more easily without your dead cells creating a barrier on your skin.
By exfoliating, you also unclog your pores which is always useful if you don’t like breaking out.
Exfoliating will also smooth the appearances of wrinkles and make your skin all soft to the touch.
How to exfoliate correctly:
- First of all, clean your hands.
- Wet your face with lukewarm water. Just a little is enough, you don’t want to be soaked.
Now, you have two choices: mechanical or chemical exfoliation? That’s up to you and both are actually recommended.
- Apply your product and scrub softly if it’s mechanical exfoliation. You don’t want to irritate your skin. If you’re doing a chemical exfoliation, don’t leave it for too long and follow the instructions, you don’t need to massage your skin with chemical exfoliation, just let the product do the work for you. Avoid the eye contour area.
Also bear in mind that selecting non-toxic skincare products will help you achieve much better results.
- Rinse with lukewarm to cold water to tone up your skin.
- Apply your serum/essence and moisturizer in a thick layer to help your skin as it is now temporarily weakened by the exfoliation. Also, keep in mind that your products will penetrate your skin more efficiently, so be generous and once again: non-toxic skincare products, always!
We recommend exfoliating at least once a week. Thicker skin can definitely exfoliate more often than sensitive ones. Although, we advise for every skin type to exfoliate gently. It is also mandatory to give your skin extra care after exfoliation if you don’t want to unbalance your skin state.